Saturday, December 6, 2008

Book Review: "The Templars and the Ark of the Covenant"


The Templars and the Ark of the Covenant
By Graham Phillips; 2004

I recently completed reading this book. For those of you who know me well enough, I am an avid seeker of any ancient and secret knowledge. So anything about the Ark of the Covenant and the Knights Templar is an instant draw for me. Luckily for me Star got this book for me as a gift! Thanks, Star! This book was an easy read at only 212 text pages and a set of color photographs at the center section. I have read one other book by the author (Merlin and the Discovery of the New World – interesting…) and I was already familiar with the type of work he does. Graham Phillips is a researcher of historical mysteries and myths. He is very good at what he does, but there are times that I feel that he makes some leaps in deduction. One example is an introduction into his research of a person as a source of information for which no one can confirm this person’s existence. This person “appears” out of nowhere and provides Phillips some key information twice in the book and then “disappears”. Phillips attempts to identify this benefactor of information, but, alas, no one in the town knows anyone who looks like this person. Coming from an investigative background, it is hard to take that kind of source of information as viable. But that aside, Phillips provides some possible alternatives to some biblical mysteries; such as the true location of Mount Sinai, what the Ark of the Covenant might have been and how it worked. Compared to some far fetched theories I have heard in the past (extraterrestrial intervention… etc), the theories Phillips puts forth are plausible. I will not reveal those theories in this blog – if your curiosity is piqued, buy the book…

No comments: